April 23, 2010

making the switch. Food is Fuel Fridays Participation Week # 6

Today I was inspired by grocery shopping of all things. I was inspired in the store as I realized that big stores are starting to offer more and more healthy options. Why?  Because We, the consumer are asking for it.  And guess what, they are listening.  I guess being a stay-at-home mom holds a little more power than even I thought.

We have officially made the switch.  And it wasn't as painful as you would think. It's so easy to switch when you think of it in these terms.  Try to buy whole grain flour instead of regular old bleached white flour.  The nutrition is stripped out almost completely in bleached flour. I apply this to bread as well.  I also won't allow myself to fall victim to the "low-fat" myth. Because it is just that.  Low fat = 100% more sugar. At least.  Think of your food, as fuel.  Fill yourself with premium.  Add things like hemp to your diet.  Look at the food you buy and ask questions of it.  Ask what it will do for your health and how it will make you feel.

The changes that we have made initially are very simple.  Very basic.  At first, it frightened me as I thought of how we would even AFFORD to eat healthy. It's a sick situation that in today's day and age, it is cheaper to feed your family processed garbage, like they feed our cows, literally, than it is to feed them healthy, straight from the earth, natural food. REAL FOOD.   But then it hit me.  I will not compromise my family's health and well-being.  I am the main shopper in a family unit that struggles financially. We get by, we scrape by.  But I refuse to compromise on the groceries.  And so that is why today, at the supermarket(s) I was elated when I noticed that not only are they offering MORE choice, but they are LOWERING their prices on healthy foods. IM ECSTATIC.  It was a veritable food-gasm.

I am not intending this to be a lecture. By no means do I want you all to feel ashamed of what is in your pantry.  There are lots of things in my pantry still that leave something to be desired.  But it's the little steps and I'm noticing a difference. I just kept switching out the old unhealthy things for new, better healthy versions.









My camera is down today. But tomorrow, I will update this with a post of inside my pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment