April 17, 2010

bit by bit. little by little (food is fuel week 5 participACTION)

I've been struggling this week. Hard. It's just been a sad, hectic, crazy week. And I had to fight to keep myself motivated to cook well and healthy instead of EASY. I did break, on Monday. I broke down and made hubs by me a McChicken. With Half Mayo. Like that made a difference. And did I ever get my karma. We went for our nightly walk, we ran to catch the light. We had enough time, we didn't need to run. By the time I got to the other side, I was sick. Nausea had taken over. Everything started spinning around me. I began to hear things as though they were being said through a fan. Like Darth Vader. Like on the Dark Side.

There is no more fitting way to describe it. I was going through a sickness brought on by eating McDonalds for the first time in months. UGH. I had crossed over to the dark side, I felt. Then came the bad food guilt. It wasn't pretty. It reminded me why I do THIS. See, food is fuel Fridays, are more than just a blog meme. For me, it is an accountability issue. For me, it's how I can track and prove my progress. And process.

Other than my slip, we've been doing good. Everything is cooked with love, from scratch. I even changed from buying Seth "healthy" oatmeal to making it from scratch. Even the healthy oatmeal the package has additives and TONS of sugar, I've learned. And guess what, HE LOVES IT. He loves the earthy taste of his hemp oatmeal breakfast. The best part is that I have total control of all the ingredients. I know what's in it and how it will affect him. And it's been good. Really good.

Now to just keep up with it. We are starting at a grass roots level here. We are growing our own food this year. We are growing tomatoes, sweet peas, every salad green I could imagine, cucumbers, squash, strawberries, and all sorts of other yummy fresh healthy things. I can't wait. Inch by inch, row by row, little by little. Bit by Bit.

I know I am turning a corner, because 3 months ago, I wouldn't care less about eating a burger. It meant nothing to me. But now, I can see how much damage I was doing to my body. I might as well pick up a pack of smokes and start again after two years. That's how it felt. Like a failure. But I shall persist. I shall overcome. Someday. Someday is now.

Peace folks. Eat well.

No comments:

Post a Comment