March 23, 2010

Of Issue - "fat" babies

Today on my twitter feed a read a comment that set off a little bomb inside my brain. Someone had said that "a fat toddler is a form of child abuse" This statement incensed me for a couple of reasons.
  1. Unless you are strapping your child down and force feeding them, I don't see how it can be abuse.
  2. If your child thinks he's hungry, than he probably is. He would know a little better than you.
  3. If you are feeding your child a well balanced diet that include healthy choices then there shouldn't be a fat or skinny, but just a HEALTHY label.
Putting these kinds of labels and stigmas on TODDLERS is very, very unhealthy in my humble opinion. I have been told my son is large at times. He is not giant or fat, but he has had moments. He was born a normal weight but has always been in about the 70th Percentile. Not abnormal for a child whose dad is 6 foot tall and while I may be a pip-squeak, it is quiet apparent that Seth takes after his father genetically. He looks exactly like him in every way. In fact, I struggle to see where he looks like me at all. He certainly has my temper. However, I digress.

Eating disorders start young in most and boys are not excluded from that. For my part, all I can do is offer him healthy choices. I cook from scratch, I avoid packaged foods and loads of preservatives. It's hard when you have a child that is starting to become picky about food. For snacks we do smoothies now because I can ensure that he gets all his veggies and fruits.

He won't eat them straight anymore. There is a texture issue there. But he will always eat fruit if it's pureed. He loves yogurt, he loves cheese and crackers and he loves all the things that kids love. We steer clear of giving him straight up sugar, but we will give him cake on special occasions and such. He is still a big boy for his age. He is a fricken line backer. And you know what... I don't see a problem with that. He is energetic and he gets lots of exercise. He certainly gives ME one heck of a work out.

So I ask, is it child abuse? Am I ABUSING my child? I think not. He is happy and healthy and that's all that matters from THIS mother's point a view. Remember, I'm greek and the most oft heard phrase from my family was "eat eat, you too skinny" my whole life. I am bread to eat. I am bread to breed children. I am doing something that all parents want - I am trying to make my sons life better than mine. My mom was great and she fed us well. In this day an age however, we have access to a lot more information than our parents had.

So there it is. My child is of a larger stature. He is loved. He is never ever neglected. He is well fed and healthy. He is NOT abused because he is bigger. And ma'am, you should be ashamed from making such a rash generalization. There. I said it. Now I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment