March 19, 2010

Food is Fuel Fridays - Week Two



Today is friday and isn't it a beautiful day. Today for my contribution, I am going to write about something that we do in combination with trying to eat healthy. Walking. In our family, walks are a paramount part of our daily routine. They exist for many reasons - for health and for happiness. They also serve as a way for our family to tune out and enjoy each other's presence in the beauty of nature.


But first, let's start with the good stuff ~ FOOD!

For tonight's meal we will be having healthy pizza with tangy greens salad. I must admit, I was inspired and drooling after reading the UrbanMomtographer's pizza dough recipe last Friday, so I decided to embark on it this evening. I'll let you know how that goes. The salad is super tasty and super easy. All you need are some spring greens, spinach, tangerines (or any in season fruit) and some of your favorite light dressing. We like a nice, easy and healthy Balsamic Vinaigrette.


I really love using the fruits and veggies of the season when I'm cooking. In spring and summer, that involves a lot of servings of fruits and veggies. Everything is fresh. Our fridge is full of colour and freshness. I love this time of year. It tastes great, but it's also an awesome way to get the much needed anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals that we crave.


*~* because you're mine, I walk the line *~*



Our family are big on walks. I'd say we spend at least 1-2 hours outside, every day. And we love it. Even in the poor weather, we dress appropriately and we walk. Most nights we walk down to the river and watch the planes as they take off and land. We watch the birds and the wildlife and we spend some good family time together. Which is just as important as eating healthy on my radar. I think they go hand in hand. The Garden that we are starting is a family project. We will all be involved. Even if Seth is just playing next to us in the dirt. He will have a taste at watching food grow. Eating and enjoying something knowing that we grew it ourselves from a tiny seed. It's pretty cool. So we walk. As a side benefit, we are getting ourselves fit again. I am in better shape than I have been my whole life and not only is hubs getting super fit, but he also quit smoking because of our walks *two weeks now!* He did that for his family. The least I can do for him and our son is make healthy choices everyday when I make dinner for my family.

Phew! Week two of #foodisfuelfridays officially under my belt.

The moral of the story, let your food (which is fuel) Fuel your day and go for a little walk. Look at nature. Or just walk around your block. Get outside, breathe some fresh air, let your cheeks get rosey.

No comments:

Post a Comment